The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) released its manifesto for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections today. Titled 'Sankalp Bharat Sashakt Bharat,' it focuses on welfare and core party issues like Ram Mandir and Uniform Civil Code.
The manifesto was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the BJP headquarters in the presence of party president Amit Shah and top Union Ministers including Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj, and Rajnath Singh.
The release comes a day after Jaitley unveiled the campaign themes and other materials of the party's election campaign, with ‘Phir ek baar, Modi Sarkar’ as the tag line.
The manifesto stresses on Farmers Welfare, Citizenship Bill, Ram Mandir, Uniform Civil Code and a zero-tolerance policy towards terrorism.
Some of the key highlights are:
1. For strengthening the armed forces, purchase of outstanding defence equipment will be fast tracked
2. Zero-tolerance towards terrorism. Security forces will continue to get a free hand
3. Will implement NRC (National Register of Citizens) in a phased manner in other parts of the country
4. Technology will be used to prevent infiltration in the north-east; smart fencing will be used
5. Reiterate position since the time of the Jan Sangh, to scrap Article 370 (special status to Jammu and Kashmir); committed to annulling Article 35A or the law which says that no outsider can own property in Jammu and Kashmir
6. Interest-free kisan credit card loans, short term agricultural loans up to Rs. 1 lakh to be given at zero per cent interest, for one to five years, on the condition of prompt repayment of principal amount
7. Sankalp Patra aims to fulfil the aspirations of 130 crore Indians
8. Ram temple will be built as soon as BJP is voted to power
9. Pucca houses by 2022, for every family who are living in a kuccha house or have no house
10. Investment of Rs 100 lakh crore in the infrastructure sector by 2024